Subject: Scene crashes on Alpha, but OK on P133?!?
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 19:12:00 -0700

I have a Raptor 21064 w/64MB RAMfor a short period of time, and I'm setting
it up to render some scenes that I've created on my Pentium.
I've run into a bug that causes LightWave on the Alpha to crash when drawing
the wireframe layout screen. NewTek tech support claims this is a known bug
that will be 'fixed in the next major release'?!?

I haven't heard of any reports about this, so I was wondering if any other
Alpha users out there know of the problem. More importantly, is there any way
around this?!? (NewTek said I would have to rebuild the entire scene - piece
by piece - from within LightWave Alpha!)

Synopsis:
I had the two machines networked within 20 minutes, and everything was going
just fine.....
All the BENCHMARK scenes rendered just fine, and I had no trouble loading
scenes like Blade and Hummer. (These were all loaded from the global
LightWave directory on my Intel PC.)

Then I tried to load one of my own scenes.
The scene loaded fine, but LW crashed when drawing the first view in the
Layout window.

Specifically, after clicking 'Continue' on the Load Scene Panel, I saw the
object bounding boxes in the Layout window, then it crashed before the
wireframe view was drawn.

The same scene also crashes when using LWSN on the Alpha......

According to NewTek, it occurs when you load 'big' scenes.
I'm sure my scene is no more complex than what some of you guys can do, so
how do _you_ get away with it?!?

Thanks for any tips or pointers!
Erik Flom - ELFWorks 3D Construction Co.
http://members.aol.com/elfvrml/web/home.htm